Braving the Cold in Wisconsin
As a certified Large Loss Response Team, our franchise maintains a storm team that is able to travel to other parts of the country during disasters. Our storm team has been in Wisconsin for a week now doing their best to help those who have been affected by the polar vortex. While they have been enjoying the cold weather since we don’t see too much of it here in Texas, they are still working hard. Temperatures well into the negatives had caused pipes to burst spilling water out into many people’s homes. Though the water had briefly melted, it froze again before we could finish extracting it, so our team had to wait for it to melt again before they could begin the extraction process.
Once the water was able to be extracted, our crew immediately got to work setting up equipment in the buildings and making sure everything would be dried properly. Through the process of cleaning up the affected areas, our teams also found plenty of mold growth that needed to be taken care of as well. There is a lot of work to done, so the crew will stay up north for a while longer to fix up as much damage as possible.
They are now heading to Chicago!
Spring Fire Safety
Always check over your grill before you use it to make sure that the parts will all function as they should.
The weather is heating up which means soon it will be time to bust out those grills or gather around a campfire with your friends. As always, we have some great tips to help you make the most of your time without causing damage or injury with fire. Check them out below!
- Check over all the parts of your grill before using it. This includes the propane tank, the hose, and any connecting pieces.
- Make sure your grill has been properly cleaned. Stray bits of old food or leaves can cause flare ups and burns.
- Make sure the grill is set up away from anything flammable such as trees, fences, and buildings. It should be in an open outdoor area.
- Never leave a lit grill unattended.
- Never leave children or pets unattended near an open flame or something that may still be hot.
- Keep a fire extinguisher nearby in case something does go wrong.
A Clean Workplace is Good for Business
Some of our work cleaning up commercial water damage.
When work gets busy, the last thing you think about is whether the floors have been vacuumed or the HVAC filters replaced, but making sure that your workspace and office are clean can actually help your workplace become more productive. Check out the list below for reasons why keeping the workplace clean is important.
- Make a Good First Impression
When a customer walks into your business, they will definitely notice if you have kept up with the maintenance of your building. Water damage spots and dirty carpets make a horrible first impression on customers looking to do business with you. They will likely judge you based on what they first see when they enter your office, so make sure floors are clean, desks are tidy, and spills are quickly cleaned up.
- Boost Focus
If you have papers strewn about your desk and you don’t know where to find things, it becomes difficult to focus on your work. A tidy desk makes it easier to focus on what needs to get done and where you have left important pieces of your work.
- Keep Your Employees Healthy
If your employees don’t enjoy the area they work in, they likely won’t want to stick around. Spending 8 hours a day in a place with water stains on the floor and mold growing in the air vents can make anyone feel sick. Investing in a good air filter and making sure that it is properly maintained will go a long way in making your employees feel happier and healthier. Keeping walls, ceilings, and floors clean is an important part of ensuring your employees are taken care of.
Call us today at 817-595-0004!
Basketball Floor Warped Due to Water Damage
This floor was severely warped due to water damage.
A sure sign of water of water damage is when your floor begins to warp and buckle. This basketball court in Hurst, Texas was extremely warped after water had seeped underneath it and began to severely affect the wood. Imagine trying to play a game on a court this wavy!
Once our technicians had assessed the situation, they were able to cut a small line in the top layer of court so that they could remove the affected flooring. The way the court was laid down, our team had to pull the boards up one by one. Once they got through the first layer, it was easy to see where water was pooling up on the corner of the gym. A few layers of plywood were beneath the court floor, and they had been soaked through with water. Our technicians had to remove all of the wood so that they could bring in one of our extractors and remove the standing water.
Call us today if your business has water damage! 817-595-0004
Fast Facts About Fire
Understanding how fires start can help you prevent fire damage at home.
Knowing how fires start can help you come up with a plan to prevent them. Preparation is a key aspect of avoiding any disaster. Use these tips to help you figure our how you can prepare your home or business and avoid fire damage.
- Around 50% of home fires are due to cooking accidents. You can avoid fire damage in the kitchen by making sure you keep a fire extinguisher somewhere easy to reach and making sure you know how to use it. Also, make sure that you never leave a hot appliance unattended; always pay attention to what you are doing!
- Over 15% of residential fires are caused by electrical appliances malfunctioning or other issues with electrical components of the house such as the heating system. With this in mind, make sure that you have your home inspected often to make sure everything is working as it should. Especially at the turn of seasons when you may not have used your heater or air conditioner in a while.
- California, Texas, and Georgia lead the nation in fire deaths in 2016. Having plan to get out of your house in an emergency is one of the most important things you can do to keep your family safe. Make sure the plan includes instructions for everyone – including pets – to get out safely in case a fire occurs, and practice the plan so that your family will know exactly what to do.
SERVPRO® of Hurst-Euless-Bedford Heads North
Our storm team packed up and headed to Wisconsin this week to help those affected by the polar vortex.
When the polar vortex struck the northern part of America this year, our franchise knew that the area would need help. As a certified Large Loss Response Team, we are able to handle bigger jobs than usual, so once the roads became safe to travel, some of our crew packed up and headed out to Wisconsin to help take care of some of the damage from the frigid blast in the Midwest.
Our team, lead by our fearless production manager, Dakota, prepared for the week leading up to the trip. They packed up the vehicles with everything they would need to handle the snowy situation up north. When disaster strikes, SERVPRO is always ready to step in. From hurricane relief, to snow storms, to wildfires, and more, our network of pros is always “Here to Help.”
What Caused the Polar Vortex?
Heavy snow blanketed the US as extremely low temperatures swept in from the north.
Unless you’ve been living under a rock, chances are you’ve heard about the major polar vortex that swept through the northern part of the US this week. With water freezing inside toilets, and the windchill dipping into Antarctic temperatures, it makes you wonder what could have possibly caused this storm… we have some answers right here!
The National Weather Service states that the polar vortex actually exists near the poles year-round, but it weakens in the summer and strengthens in the winter. Usually the counter-clockwise motion of the vortex keeps the cold air relatively contained near the poles, but during the winter, the vortex may expand or become unstable which sends arctic blasts shooting southward.
While it may be tempting to play in the snow, it is critical for you to stay warm and keep yourself safe. Temperatures this low can easily become lethal after only a few minutes. Stay inside, stay hydrated, and be sure to layer up to keep yourself as warm as possible.
Ideal Conditions for Mold Growth
Mold covered a wall after storm damage caused water to leak into this house.
Understanding what conditions mold likes to grow in can help you prevent mold growth in your home or office. Mold can be found nearly anywhere on earth – both indoors and outdoors; usually a few mold spores here or there won’t cause any issues, but if the spores are able to settle and begin growing, they can cause problems.
Mold likes warm, humid conditions. Sometimes, simply having a few extremely humid days in a row will provide the right conditions for mold to grow. Common issues that can lead to excess moisture also include burst or leaky pipes and excessive rainfall. Once mold spores land in a habitable area, they can begin to grow and cover the area in as little as 48 hours.
If you have water damage in your home, make sure it is cleaned up quickly and properly. Call us today to ensure that all areas of your home or office meet dry standards. If mold has already begun growing, our experts can handle that too! We even have specialized formulas to get rid of mold and keep it from coming back. Give us a call today at 817-595-0004 to see how we can help you!
With over 1,800 franchises in the U.S. and Canada, SERVPRO® truly does stretch from sea to shining sea. Out of those franchises, over 400 are large loss response teams – these teams are able to handle $100,000 or more in damage, so you can rest assured that your building is in good hands. Our Large Loss Response teams have extra equipment, staff members, and training that allow them to mobilize all over the United States whenever disaster strikes. These team work together during hurricanes, tornadoes, polar vortexes, floods, and much more to ensure that everything looks “Like it never even happened.”
Additionally, there are more than 10 Extreme Response Teams within SERVPRO® who are ready to head out at a moment’s notice. These teams are often made up of multiple Large Loss Response Teams, and they are the highest tier of disaster response at SERVPRO®. These elite teams can handle losses of $500,000 or more and are strategically placed around America so that they can act quickly when they are called into action.
With so many SERVPRO® franchises, Large Loss Response Teams, and Extreme Response Teams around America, it is easy to see why we are a leader in the restoration industry. No matter where you are in the U.S., we will be there in a flash to help get your life back to normal. Simply give our office a call at 817-595-0004, and a team will be dispatched to your location! For more information on the services we offer, email info@SERVPRO10457.com.
Many Different Services
SERVPRO® of Hurst Euless-Bedford offers a wide range of services to cover all of your needs when it comes to restoration. Check out the list below to see some of the problems we can take care of!
- Water Damage: When it comes to water damage, a quick response it critical to preventing further damage. Our experts use state-of-the-art equipment to ensure that your property has been completely dried to IICRC standards.
- Fire Damage: After a fire occurs in your home or office, you will have to deal with smoke and soot damage as well as water damage. Our technicians can handle even the largest fire loss so that you can have peace of mind during this stressful time.
- Mold Remediation: Nobody wants mold inside their house, and for those with allergies, microbial growth can cause serious problems if it is left unchecked. Our team of professionals is specially trained and certified to get rid of mold and make sure it doesn’t come back.
- Biohazard Clean Up: Biohazardous substances such as blood or bile can be extremely dangerous and should always be disposed of properly. We can safely treat any affected areas and dispose of contaminated materials according to OSHA, EPA, and state and local standards.
- Deodorization: From sewage, to mold, to pet stains, nobody likes living or working in a stinky area. We can locate the source of the odor and eliminate it rather than just cover it up.
- Contents Claim & Document Drying: We offer pack out and storage services to keep your belongings safe until reconstruction has been completed. We are also able to restore paper documents through the deposition process.
- Catastrophic Events: Our elite Large Loss Division can handle any size jobs. These teams are strategically located around the U.S. so that we can be on site as quickly as possible after a hurricane, tornado, or other catastrophic event.